This section is designed to answer basic questions about private giving to the Hollings Cancer Center at the Medical University of South Carolina. If you have additional questions that are not included in the section below, or you need more information, please contact the Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development.
- Why does Hollings Cancer Center need private support?
- What are the different ways I can give?
- Is there a standard amount most people give?
- How do I make a gift?
- How do I make a credit card donation?
- How do I make a memorial (or "in honor of") gift?
- Is my gift tax deductible?
- Will I get a receipt for my donation?
- May I designate how my gift will be used?
- Can I contribute a gift in-kind or a gift of my time and talents?
- How can I get more information for making a gift?
Private gifts enhance almost every aspect of patient care and research by helping us:
- Recruit the most talented and compassionate physicians, scientists and caregivers
- Build the most advanced facilities
- Discover new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer
- Provide our patients with the most advanced treatment options in the world
- Reach out to patients in need throughout the entire state
- Provide our patients with the most comprehensive range of services available
- Support research that may one day cure cancer
In short, private support enables us to acquire the caregivers, facilities, amenities and services you would expect to find in a world-class cancer center.
Here are three simple ways to make a gift:
- An outright gift is a gift (of cash, property or stock) made immediately.
A pledge is a gift (of cash, property or stock) that may be paid over a period of time.
- A planned gift is a gift made through your estate plans or will. With a planned gift, you commit to make the gift today, but the gift does not actually come to us until after the end of your life.
The amount of your contribution is a personal decision. Your comfort level is important, and gifts at any level make an impact and are gratefully accepted. Friends who make gifts of $1,000 are recognized in our annual Honor Roll of Donors and also gain membership in the Society of 1824, the Medical University of South Carolina's charitable giving society. Gifts of $25,000 and above provide unique opportunities for naming a room, a program, or another mission appropriate to the contribution level.
You may make an outright gift by making an online donation. You may also make your check payable to the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Foundation-Hollings Cancer Center. Please indicate on the check: "Hollings Cancer Center" and/or a specific fund name. For more information about different funds, please call 843-792-9335 or toll-free at 800-810-6872, and we will be happy to assist you. Or, if you prefer, you may contact the Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development by e-mail.
Gifts may be made payable to: MUSC Foundation - Hollings Cancer Center
and mailed to:
Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development
86 Jonathan Lucas Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
To make a pledge or planned gift, please call 843-792-9335 or toll-free at 800-810-6872 and we will be happy to assist you. If you prefer, you may contact the Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development by e-mail.
Visit the MUSC Office of Development Web site for more information about how to make a credit card donation. Please make sure you select Hollings Cancer Center in the designation box.
You are able to make a donation in memory or in honor of a special person or loved one by including the person's name at the bottom of your check or in an accompanying letter. If you include the honoree's address (or the name and address of a next-of-kin), we will notify the individual that you have made a gift in his or her honor. If you prefer, you may call our office and we will be more than happy to assist in this wonderful gesture of kindness and remembrance.
Contributions to the Hollings Cancer Center are accepted through the Medical University of South Carolina Foundation. The Medical University of South Carolina Foundation is a 501 c (3) organization, contributions to which are tax deductible.
The Federal Tax Identification Number is 57-6028985.
The Medical University of South Carolina Foundation IRS Determination Letter can be viewed here.
Yes. Upon receiving your gift, the Medical University of South Carolina Foundation will send you a letter, thanking you for your gift. Because this letter will indicate the amount of your gift, you may use it as a receipt for tax purposes.
Yes. You may designate your gift to support a specific program, an event or a special project within the Hollings Cancer Center. For more information about specific funds, please contact the Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development.
We have many areas of need that would benefit from a contribution of a gift-in-kind. Please contact the Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development to discuss.
Contact the Hollings Cancer Center Office of Development at 843-792-933, toll free at 800-810-6872, or by e-mail.