Translational Research Shared Resource
Name: Daniel J. Fernandes, PhD, DSc
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Name: Sandeep Mahajan, PhD
Location: HCC 603
The Translational Research Shared Resource was established in 2008 by the Hollings Cancer Center of Medical University of South Carolina. The need for this resource was made evident by both clinicians participating in early phase drug development clinical trials, as well as basic scientists with an interest in exploring the clinical relevance of their research projects.
The Translational Research Shared Resource provides the following services:
- Consultation services including experimental and clinical protocol design, tissue procurement, assay development and IRB issues in conjunction with the Hollings Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office.
- Generation of preclinical data to support the development of phase I or phase II clinical trials.
- Drug mechanism of action and target validation studies.
- Biomarker analyses in tumors and blood.
- Laser capture micro-dissection of tumors.
- Immuno-magnetic cell isolation.
- Solid tumor dissaggregation and nucleic acids isolation.
- Western blotting.
- Reverse transcriptase PCR and real time PCR.
- Liquid nitrogen storage of cells and tissue specimens.
If you publish a manuscript including research supported by the Translational Research Shared Resource, the HCC recommends the following text to be placed in the acknowledgement section: "Supported in part by the Translational Research Shared Resource, Hollings Cancer Center, Medical University of South Carolina."